Military & Veterans

You made a commitment to serve your country and protect its freedom. Now is the time for your country and Robert Morris University Illinois to give back and support your education.

RMU is committed to our military men and women.
RMU is recognized by the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges Consortium (SOC) as a military friendly university. RMU participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program at the maximum level.*

Military friendly school seal

RMU Advantages:

  • Cohort Scheduling – 97% of RMU graduates finish their bachelor’s degree in 4 years or less
  • One-on-one Academic Advisor Support – Advisors ensure you only take the classes needed for graduation
  • Veterans Benefits – Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits may include cost of tuition and fees, housing allowance, book and supplies stipends, and a one-time relocation payment
  • Veteran-only RMU Scholarships – Apply your VA benefits and qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Scholarship, up to a full-tuition scholarship toward completion of an RMU bachelor’s degree

As a veteran, you receive priority admissions status, which includes:

  • Simplified Application Process – No admission essay or recommendation requirement
  • Application Fee Waiver – Click below to apply and have your fee waived by putting VET in the payment notes
  • Priority Admissions Decisions – Active or honorably discharged servicemembers receive immediate consideration to the University
Request Info
Visit Campus
Scholarships & Tuition

Military & Veteran FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions about using your Veteran’s Affairs (VA) Educational Benefits (GI Bill®) at Robert Morris University. 

Robert Morris University is honored to participate at the maximum level in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Yellow Ribbon Program*.
*Note: Robert Morris University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program for qualified veterans using Post 9/11 benefits at RMU.

The Yellow Ribbon program is designed to supplement educational costs for those veterans covered at 100% under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. A comprehensive explanation of the Yellow Ribbon Program is available on the VA’s website.

VA Educational Benefits include, but are not limited to:

  • Post-9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33 (Yellow Ribbon Program)*
  • Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents (T.o.E.) – Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB) – Chapter 30
  • Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) – Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) – Chapter 1607
  • Dependents Educational Assistance – Chapter 35
  • Vocational Rehabilitation – Chapter 31

For a complete listing of the Federal VA Educational Benefits Programs, go to

The Illinois Veteran’s Grant (IVG) is not available for students at Robert Morris University. Currently this program is restricted by the State of Illinois to students attending public colleges and universities in Illinois.

RMU encourages all persons potentially eligible for VA Educational Benefits to apply. However, the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) or other agencies, as appropriate, make the final determination of eligibility.

Please contact the Departments of Veterans Affairs, if you do not know what your benefits are (see the next FAQ).

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website. The National Home Page address is: . You can call toll-free from the U.S. by dialing 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). For other VA benefits call 1-800-827-1000. You can also mail inquiries or claims for educational benefits to the VA Regional Processing Office. The Central Region handles claims for Illinois.

VA Regional Office
PO Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830

To use any VA educational benefits, you must first complete the appropriate VA form and submit it to the VA. The VA Online Application can be completed by using VONAPP available at the VA website. Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website at for forms and additional information on Educational Entitlements.

Note: You must be admitted to an approved degree granting program in order to receive VA Educational Benefits. You can go to our website to apply for admission to Robert Morris University at . The veteran’s application fee will be waived automatically. An Admissions Counselor will be assigned to assist you through the entire Admissions process.

Once the VA application is processed by the Department of Veterans Affairs, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility with detailed information about your Educational Benefits.

All interested veterans must provide a copy of their DD214 and Certificate of Eligibility for enrollment certification at RMU.

Yes. It is called “Warriors to Scholars”. For more information, contact the RMU Veteran Representative.

Chapter 30 (Active Duty-MGIB) recipients need to inform the VA each month of enrollment. Certifying your enrollment can be done by using the VA on-line ‘Web Automated Verification of Enrollment’ (WAVE) at or by calling the toll-free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 877-823-2378.

Note: You do NOT need to certify your attendance, if you are receiving benefits under the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (CH 33), REAP (CH 1607), or DEA (CH 35).

If you decrease your training time (i.e. drop classes, leave school, etc.) and we have already processed a payment for tuition and fees, an overpayment will occur. A decrease in your credit hours could also result in changes to your housing allowance and books/supplies stipend. If the VA has already issued you a payment for the term, a debt will be created on your account.

Please contact the Debt Management Center, if you receive a debt notification from the VA. The Debt Management Center is the authoritative source of debt collection information. You can reach them at 1-800-827-0648 or e-mail them .

Please contact your Academic Advisor as soon as you receive your orders for deployment. Veterans deployed while enrolled, will have their tuition forgiven for the term in which they left.

Any previously enrolled veterans may apply to return to the university and will return in the same academic standing in which they left. Returning veterans must contact the RMU VA representative on campus and complete the appropriate forms to be certified for their VA Educational Benefits.

Still have questions?  Feel free to contact one of our Military & Veteran staff members:

Noemi Oyola
Associate Registrar-SR VA Certifying Official